first date

posted on: 10.19.2018

i drew you an ice cream cone on a piece of printer paper, with a pen that wasn't my own. ten minutes before meeting you for the first time, on your birthday. i didn't want to show up empty handed, but i only knew a little bit about you. a few days of texts, a few laughs and your quick wit were exchanged. also, zoom photos. it's all in the detail, right?

we hugged and it felt cozy. we ate ice cream churro sandwiches, your treat. we walked down vermont to an arcade. exchanging money for tokens so we could compete against each other. i proclaimed i was really good at the air hockey table, but you still beat me. your hand on my shoulders, rubbing gently, your affection and warmth felt from the first meeting. you took my picture with some giant toy gun. shooting games aren't my thing. but the face i made, so coy. i don't like having my picture taken. i didn't realize that would be the first of so many photos. you'd force me to get comfortable behind your lens.

we shared our first kiss in the arcade. the entire time we sat in the booth playing jurassic park, i hoped you'd kiss me again. hands cupping my face gently.

i worried about my best friend. the one i was on a trip with, the one i was scoping out your city with. you took me to a cafe, to try and find wifi. we didn't want to leave each other, you invited and i accepted to go home with you. you kissed me again on the stairs of that cafe, embracing me so comfortably. like it had always been that way. but it was the first day.

we drove through downtown on our way to your home, i was excitedly nervous. where is he taking me? i wasn't yet used to the sprawling city. 15 or 20 minutes and we were inside. pinned against the wall, a spot i'd come to love, undressing as fast as we could.

talking into the night, waking up in your embrace, your body felt like an extension of mine. hearts open, comfort ignited. is this real? is he real?

my own toothbrush. your embrace behind me as we brushed and laughed. a permanent grin on both our faces. so unaware of what would come. so blissfully open to each other and becoming.

glory days.